|Mrs. Adkins » Pre-Ap English II
Pre-Ap English II
10th Grade Pre-AP English II
Wagner High School
Students enrolled in English II continue to increase and refine their communication skills. High school students are expected to plan, draft and complete written compositions on a regular basis. Students edit their papers for clarity, engaging language, and the correct use of the conventions and mechanics of written English and produce final, error-free drafts. In English II, students practice all forms of writing, including a persuasive, rhetorical and theme analysis, expository and personal narrative. In English II, students read extensive literature in every genre including selected stories, dramas, novels, poetry, essays and speeches. Students will continue to learn literary forms and terms associated with selections being read. Students interpret the possible influences of the historical context on a literary work. (See TEA English II introduction at http: www.tea.state.tx.us).
THREE IMPORTANT TIPS FOR SUCCESS IN MRS. ADKINS CLASS:
Students will need to have the following materials in class daily unless informed otherwise:
· Textbook (This will not be issued; I will have a class set in the classroom)
· One inch binder
· 5 dividers
· Composition notebook(1)
· Blue/black pens and pencils
· Hi-liters (4 colors)
· Loose-leaf paper
Please choose one of the following items to contribute to class:
· One box of tissues
· Post its
Required books to purchase:
· Summer Reading novel (Tales of Two Cities or Count of Monte Cristo)
· Othello by William Shakespeare
· Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
· Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
· 1984 by George Orwell
· Major assessments 40%
· Daily Class work 60%
I am available for tutoring Mon-Fri from 8:00am-8:25am and on Thursdays from 4:15pm-5:15pm. Additional times/days can be scheduled with me in advance.
Class Guidelines and Rules
- Respect yourself, others and your school
· Defiance and disrespect are not tolerated.
· No food or drinks in the classroom.
- Come to class prepared and on time
· Bring all required supplies daily. (see list above)
· Assignments are due on time. Please see the handbook.
· If you are absent, it is your responsibility to check the makeup work binder and complete missing work.
- Follow all rules as directed by any faculty member.
· Administrators, teachers and staff members are here to support and teach you, whether they are your classroom teacher or not.
· Verbal Warning
· Teacher/Student Conference
· Parent Contact And Conference
· Administrative Referral
**severe offenses will result in an immediate referral to an administrator. Behaviors outlined in the student handbook and teacher’s discretion will determine the behaviors that warrant immediate disciplinary action.
Teacher Contact Information
I look forward to working with you and wish you much success in every endeavor this year, both in and out of the classroom. In the event that you need extra help or have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I can be easily reached through school email at firstname.lastname@example.org. I value your success and am here to ensure that you reach your highest potential.
Parents/Guardians and students: Please fill in the following information, provide your signature and return to class as soon as possible. I will photocopy this side of the syllabus and place the information on file. Students will keep this original syllabus in their folders as a reference throughout the year.
I acknowledge that I have read the above information and am aware of the expectations described within.
____________________________printed parent or guardian name _________________relationship to student
___________________________telephone number (day) _______________________ (evening)
________________________________________________ email address
I acknowledge that I have read the above information and am aware of Mrs. Adkins’ expectations for me, this 2011-2012 school year.
_________________________________________ printed student name
Mrs. Adkins "Success Center"
Wagner High School
3000 N. Foester Road
San Antonio, TX 78244